Historic Homes

HOLLYWOOD HISTORICAL SOCIETY SIX ANUAL HOME TOUR

SUNDAY DECEMBER 2, 2007

THIS PAST YEAR PARKSIDE WAS THE FEATURED NEIGHBORHOOD FOR THIS WONDERFUL EVENT. HOMES AND GARDENS WERE PRESENTED ON THE TOUR AND MANY POEPLE CAME OUT AND ENJOYED OUR NEIGHBORHOOD. BELOW ARE THE PHOTOS OF THOSE WHO WERE ON THE TOUR AND A BRIEF DISCRIPTION OF EACH PROPERTY. THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO REALLY STEPPED UP TO THE PLATE FOR THIS EVENT.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 1841 Monroe Street 

Built in 1924, this pueblo influenced Mediterranean Style structure. Take notice of arched shutters and awnings that where reproduced to match the original of the house.

 

Frank and Blanche Burton, a jeweler who lived in Indianapolis, built the house for the family vacation home. The front room was originally screened for a smoking room and Joesph W. Young visited the home many times to smoke and play cards. 

 

The original fireplace clearly demonstrates pueblo or adobe influences in its mantel designs. The interior floors, which were refinished by the current owner, are Dade County Pine.

Current owner:

Rob Jakubisin

 

 

2022 Jefferson Street

 

Built in 1948, this mid-century modern style architecture is a prime example of many homes built in Parkside. Flared exterior walls, corner windows, ironwork, glass front door and awnings are still original to the home.

 

Nolan M. and Thelma Hill who owned the Hill Aluminum Awning Company purchased the home in 1949 and lived there for over forty years until the current owners purchased it.

 

Original light fixtures, kitchen and venetian blinds And oak floors can be seen today along with the gas fireplace for those few cold nights in Hollywood.

 

Current owners:

Sylvie Moreno/Samuel Phillips

 

 

 2014 Jefferson Street

 

Built in 1956, this post World War II architecture also referred to post-century architecture. Exterior windows, porch, screen door and exterior are original to the home.

 

Former Hollywood Commissioner John Williams resided in the residence in the 1960’s and 70’s.

 

This 2 bedroom, 1 bath home had some modifications. Another bathroom was added for the Master Bedroom. A pool was added and the garage was modified into a one-bedroom studio.

 

Current owner:

Scott Jansing

 

 

 

 

2000 Jefferson Street

 

Casa El Jeanne Apartments built in 1924-25 shows a Mediterranean Revival style building. Designed by architects Rubush & Hunter. 3-story 18 apartment units.

 

Dade County pine moldings and trim go along with oak floors. The kitchenette cabinets, sink and counter tops are original and restored.

 

The bathroom fixtures, which are Kohler-USA circa 1920’s, are original and refurbished. The closets in the Living at one time had Murphy beds in them. Newly landscaped rear yard with terraces add the final touch to the building.

 

Current owner

Jeff Prell  

 

   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1945 Adams Street

 

Vernacular Style bungalow structure was completed in 1926. The front porch was added later in time to the home and hides most of the original house.

 

Oak floors, gas fireplace and kitchen cabinets and tile back splash is original to the home. A cottage is allocated in the rear of the property.

 

Mr. Whelan was an attorney and once served as city attorney from 1943 through 1963.

 

Current owner

Joseph Shkolnik

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1939 Adams Street

 

Built in 1930’s, Mediterranean Revival style two bedroom, 2-bathroom home. Featured home on this years poster for the Home tour event.

 

House has a unique exterior living space hidden by the wood and red door and awning canopy at the entrance to the property. (Parkside Home Tour poster feature)

 

New pond for various species of water lilies and gold fish is the main centerpiece for the front yard along with lush landscaping.

 

Current owner

Manfred Mueller

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 2005 Adams Street

 

Built in 1952 typical style of this period, a CBS construction on a solid slab.  A combination of a cross gable and pyramid roof and no eaves. This gives a safe haven during a Hurricane.

 

Large ficus hedge to create privacy in the front encompasses just half of the property. Many tropical trees, shrubs and unique flowers pepper the back garden

 

Plants; Ginger, bromeliads, philodendron, spathefillums, bougainvilles and heliconas and large trees. This yard also houses an array of hummingbirds, red belly woodpeckers, owls and other native Florida birds.

Current Owner:

Jeff Perell

 

 

 

1928 Dewey Street

 

Built in 1936, this structure reflects the pueblo influenced Mediterranean Style structure.

 

Once owned by City Directory E. E. Horton in 1933. Front porch was originally screened. The walls have the originally rough textured stucco walls.

 

Original French glass doors have been updated to Hurricane glass. Bahamas shutters where added to the exterior of the house and a quaint backyard finishes the home.

Current owner

Achim Nowak